Cervical Spondylosis may be Arthritis that affects cervical vertebrae and is by pain at the rear of the neck and vertigo while bending downwards. In Ayurveda, it's referred to as Grivasandhigatvata. There are some degenerative changes within the cervical vertebrae. This, when including trauma or incorrect posture while sitting or sleeping results in the manifestation of Cervical Spondylosis.
Aggravated Vata Dosha causes the degeneration of tissues and the joints of the neck. Vata is caused by the intake of dry, stale, and gas-forming foods, having food in small quantity, increased between meals, having more of sour, bitter, and astringent foods, late-night work schedules, smoking, a lifestyle involving overindulgence in physical, mental, and sexual activities.
Common symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis include neck pain radiating towards shoulder and hand, stiffness within the neck, headache, vertigo while bending forward, loss of sensation and numbness within the shoulders and hand, and cracking sounds within the joints during movement. There could be some systemic signs like flatulence, indigestion, sleeplessness, dry skin, and intolerance to cold and dry weather.
Ayurvedic treatment in cases of Cervical Spondylosis is on the pacification of by improving digestion and enhancing the digestive fire. Ayurvedic treatment is followed by the administration of herbal medicines that foster rejuvenation of body tissues. Panchakarma massage therapy has also shown positive ends up in treating cases of Cervical Spondylosis.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Increase the intake of oily foods that are easily digested, sweet things, purified butter, vegetable soups, milk, and almonds.
- Avoid refined, kidney beans, and other foods that cause flatulence.
- Avoid physical and mental exertion.
- Get an honest night's sleep.
- Have regular, gentle body massage with lukewarm vegetable oil.
- Dhanurasan and Ujjayi Pranayam are highly recommended for cervical pains.